Karlyn Ramirez

Karlyn Ramirez

Karlyn Ramirez was shot dead in Maryland in 2015; she was found with her baby asleep beside her body

The co-accused of a murder involving a Del Rio military woman became the prosecutors’ star witness last week, when the trial of Maliek Kearney, facing charges for the death of Karlyn Ramirez, 24, started in Baltimore, Maryland.

Dolores Delgado, 33, of San Antonio, Texas, pleaded guilty in federal court for interstate travel to commit domestic violence resulting in death. Last week Delgado testified that Army M. Sgt. Maliek Kearney had changed clothes the night of the homicide, after returning with her car and her gun.

The trial started on July 16, nearly three years after Ramirez was found shot dead in Severn, Maryland, with Kattaleya Vale Kearney, her five-month-old daughter, asleep beside her body.

The Baltimore Sun reported Delgado testified during the trial she supplied Kearney with her car and gun, and then burned his clothes and dumped the revolver off a fishing pierin Florida’s Banana River.

Ramirez, a 24-year-old U.S. Army private, was stationed at Fort Meade. At the time of her death, on August 25, 2015, she had been married to Kearney for five weeks.

Ramirez was born in Beeville, Texas and grew up in Del Rio. She graduated from Comstock High School in 2009.

At the age of 21 Ramirez enlisted in the U.S. Army and was stationed in South Korea for her first year.

Ramirez was assigned in 2014 to the 70th Military Intelligence Brigade and the 742nd Military Battalion HOC at Fort Mead, Maryland, according to her obituary.

Federal prosecutors said during the trial her marriage to Kearney had gone awry in the weeks leading to her death. The Baltimore Sun reported prosecutors stating that both had been unfaithful and that when Ramirez tried to leave Kearney, he plotted to kill her.

During her testimony Delgado told jurors of a long affair with Kearney, which she said didn’t stop after he married Ramirez.

At the time of Ramirez’s death Kearney was stationed in Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Delgado said she visited him and he told her he planned to travel to Maryland.

According to the daily Delgado described jurors how Kearney borrowed Delgado’s Nissan Altima, a car less likely to draw attention than his Jaguar, and that he had purchased two 5-gallon cans to carry extra gas in order to stay away from service stations during the 1,000 plus mile round trip between Ft. Jackson, South Carolina and Severn, Maryland.

Delgado also described the jury how she kept his cellphone and sent text messages in order to create an alibi while he was gone.

After a lengthy investigation Delgado and Kearney were arrested on Oct. 6, 2016 in San Antonio in connection to Ramirez’s murder. They were taken into custody on federal warrants out of Maryland, where they were charged with interstate travel to commit domestic violence resulting in death of Ramirez.

The Kearney trial is scheduled to continue next week from Jul. 30 until Aug. 2, at the District Judge George L. Russell courtroom, in the District of Maryland U.S. District Court in Baltimore, Maryland.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.